Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Uzbekistan maybe?

Bukhara talisman Bukhara talisman
Bought Silver Talisman from Bukhara

Decided to join T whom I know through a few travellers for a 2 weeks trip to Uzbekistan, Central Asia.

Had always wanted to visit Samarkand and Bukhara (Uzebekistan) ever since I visited a curio shop in Sydney more than a decade ago. This father and daughter outfit had a shop full of antiquities collected from their exotic travels. The shop collections came from tribes of north china, africa, india, middle east to central asia, all collected from the 1980s-early 1990s.

I picked up a few rather overpriced jewellery, was told by the father that is was from Bukhara, Central Asia where it was a vibrant trading centre, his travel stories was quite amazing. Being just a poor student visiting Sydney, never imagined I could ever afford to visit these places he had been. Bought two slightly cheaper priced silver talisman which he claimed he had traded from Bukhara, the silver plated jewellery is suppose to be worn on the sleeves as form of protection.

If only someone told me I didn't need tons of money to travel and explore the world when I was younger.

Will tell you more about my plans when I visit NATAS, the local travel fair this weekend. Hope they have information on central asia.

Update : NATAS had nothing despite having a Uzbekistan booth there, they had quite pathetic information, not sure why the travel agent even had a booth at the travel fair. Doing all my research on Uzbekistan, looks like I'm heading there in Oct-Nov 2008 if nothing comes up.


Mirror at http://ihavetravellust.wordpress.com/2008/07/30/uzbekistan-maybe/
http://ihavetravellust.wordpress.com

No comments: